T-Mobile’s MetroPCS has resurrected a popular deal that was last offered in April. The deal gives a free iPhone SE 32 GB to customers who port a number to MetroPCS and activate it on a MetroPCS plan priced at $ 50 and up.
As always with free phone deals, there are some restrictions. To be eligible you must:
- Port your number at a MetroPCS branded store, not online.
- Activate the number on the $ 50 or $ 60 plan and pay for the first month of service.
- The number you are porting must not be active on the T-Mobile network and must not have been active on MetroPCS in the last 90 days.
- Pay a $ 15 activation fee plus all applicable state and local taxes on the phone. Many states noiw require you to pay sales tax on the full $ 399.99 retail value of the phone.
Metro’s $ 50 plan includes unlimited talk, messaging and data. Hotspot is not allowed on this plan and video streams at 480p. After 35 GB is used in a month data is subject to de-prioritzation for the rest of the month whenever the network is busy. $ 10/month more will buy you Metro’s $ 60 plan which does include hotspot and HD video streaming.
If you don’t need unlimited high speed data, you can switch to a cheaper plan after the first month. Available plans are:
- $ 30/month – unlimited talk, messaging and data with the first 2 GB at high speed.
- $ 40/month – unlimited talk, messaging and data with the first 5 GB at high speed.
Hotspot is allowed and HD video is available on the $ 30 and $ 40 plans
If you don’t like the SE, Metro will give you $ 150 off any iPhone they carry. Unfortunately, inless you want and iPhone 8 or X, this is not as good a deal as it sounds. Metro doesn’t offer the more affordable iPhone 6 or 6s Plus and their price for the 6s before $ 150 is $ 100 higher than what competitors Boost Mobile, Cricket, Straight Talk and Total Wireless charge for the same phone. Here are the iPhones that MetroPCS website lists as currently available. Individual dealers may not have all of these in stock and it’s possible that they may have other unlisted iPhones available:
- iPhone SE 32 GB $ 149 (free with port-in)
- iPhone 6s 32 GB $ 399 ($ 249 with port-in)
- iPhone 7 32 GB $ 549 ($ 399 with port-in)
- iPhone 7 Plus 32 GB $ 669 ($ 519 with port-in)
- iPhone 8 64 GB $ 699 ($ 549 with port-in)
- iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB $ 799 ($ 649 with port-in)
- iPhone X 64 GB $ 999 ($ 849 with port-in)
MetroPCS will unlock their phones for free after 6 months of paid service.
The free iPhone SE or $ 150 off other iPhones offer can be combined with Metro’s ongoing Four Lines of Unlimited LTE for $ 100 promo which includes four lines of the $ 50 plan for $ 100 month. Two lines are $ 80, Three lines are $ 90. That means you can get up to four free or discounted iPhones if you have four eligible lines to port.