Black Wireless, an AT&T-only prepaid brand from Red Pocket Mobile, recently began offering six and 12 month versions of its monthly plans. Black Wireless is giving customers a substantial discount if they are willing to pay for for six month’s or a year’s worth of service in advance. The idea isn’t new, Red Pocket has been selling annual plans on eBay since 2015 and Ultra Mobile’s Mint SIM sub-brand sells multi-month plans almost exclusively.
Here are Black Wireless’ monthly plans including the new six and 12 month pricing:
- $ 10/month – 500 minutes, 500 messages and 100 MB of data – $ 48 for six months ($ 8/month), $ 90 for 12 months ($ 7.50/month).
- $ 15/month – 200 minutes, 200 messages and unlimited data, first 500 MB at high speeds – $ 72 for six months ($ 12/month), $ 135 for 12 months ($ 11.25/month).
- $ 20/month – unlimited minutes and messages, 100 MB of data – $ 96 for six months ($ 16/month), $ 180 for 12 months ($ 15/month).
- $ 25/month – unlimited minutes, messages and data, first 1 GB at high speeds – $ 120 for six months ($ 20/month), $ 225 for 12 months ($ 18.75/month).
- $ 30/month – unlimited minutes, messages and data, first 2.5 GB at high speeds – $ 144 for six months ($ 24/month), $ 270 for 12 months ($ 22.50/month).
- $ 35/month – unlimited minutes, messages and data, first 1 GB at high speeds, $ 25 international call credit – $ 168 for six months ($ 28/month), $ 315 for 12 months ($ 26.25/month).
- $ 60/month – unlimited minutes, messages and data, first 6 GB at high speeds – $ 288 for six months ($ 48/month), $ 540 for 12 months ($ 45/month).
A Black Wireless “month” is 30 days, not a calendar month.
If you run out of minutes texts or data the following add-ons are available
- $ 5 – 250 minutes or texts ($ 10 and $ 15 plans only)
- $ 5 – 250 MB data ($ 10 and $ 15 plans only)
- $ 10 – 1 GB data ($ 20 and higher plans only)
- $ 15 – 2 GB data ($ 20 and higher plans only)
- $ 50 – 10 GB data ($ 20 and higher plans only)
If you make international calls, for an unspecified “limited time” there’s no extra charge for international calls to up to 10 unique numbers in 74 counties. One of the 74 countries is Mexico where calls are available at no extra charge to both landlines and mobiles I can’t tell you which other countries are supported because the dropdown for choosing countries Black Wireless’ international rate page is not working. There’s also no extra charge for international texts on any Black Wireless plan. The $ 35 plan includes a $ 25/month international call credit for calls that aren’t covered by the unlimited, no extra charge offer. All other plans include a $ 1 ($ 2 for the first month only) international call credit.
So how do Black Wireless’ plans and pricing stack up against the competition? The good news is that Black Wireless’ appears to have the least expensive unlimited talk and text plan on the AT&T network from any operator, $ 15/month when you pay for 12 Months.
Other than the $ 15 month unlimited T&T deal, Black’s prices are not that exciting. For month to month plans at $ 35/month or less Red Pocket offers more data at every price point. And Red Pocket’s month to month plans include no extra cost international calling and messaging like Black’s.
Red Pocket’s multi month plans on eBay and Amazon are also better deals than Black’s, unless you need international calling, which is not included with Red Pocket’s multi month plans. Black Wireless’ $ 60 6 GB plan is no match for the $ 55 and $ 60 unlimited data plans from Cricket and Straight Talk.
See our AT&T and AT&T MVNO Prepaid Plans Compared post to check out Black Wireless’ competition.
Source: Black Wireless via BestMVNO.